Digital painting has some advantages: it is possible to make and remake one's sketches, put the tones and colors to satisfaction, or loss of patience.
The tablet allows, with some adjustments, to find almost the feel of drawing or painting.
Herafter, a tutorial guides you to execute a digital painting A to Z.
There are tons of tutorials, I do not pretend to replace them with a few lines.
You may get a little disappointed if having just unpacked your tablet, you intend to draw without minimum set of knowledge. Here is a few:
- Setting up the tablet : you will find on Wacom Starter's Guide par Matthew Laskowski every detail about these operations.
- Even if the drivers download automatically, I recommend going on the publisher's website(here Wacom) to download them. Reboot your computer.
- With Windows 7 or Vista, you'd better desactivate Tablet PC Input Service, which detects handwritng (command Windows -> enter Services -> search Tablet PC Input Service -> edit Properties -> apply disabled).
- Set the function keys on your tablet and pen, if the default shortcuts are not suitable. It is possible to make a special setting for Photoshop. The application is launched, click on the + button in the applications section and select Photoshop. For setting my keysExpress, the two buttons at the bottom (Ctrl and pan/scroll) allow functions Zoom (if supported simultaneously) and displacement of the image (Ctrl alone). For shortcuts on rocker ring, I have set Undo/Redo functions, together with Alt (which allows you to select a color to the pipette) and color inversion (key x). Last, for my pen, I have chosen right click, and pan/scroll.
- Picture size : do not hesitate to define a large size for your picture, eg 300 DPI, 7000X4000 pixels, which generates a file of about 60 to 200 MB Speed of your PC is the only limit to consider!
- Brushes : they are super important and must allow the use of the transfer and dynamic form, so that the tablet is useful (depending on the pressure level, the line will be more or less dark or wide). I found a set of versatile brushes on DeviantArt through Feohria. To have a drawing tablet effect, the Color dynamic parameter is most important, for this parameter takes account of the pen pressure, to make the line more or less dark.